Our Integrated Annual report 2017/18
- Meeting of Resources and Governance Scrutiny Committee, Thursday, 11th October, 2018 2.00 pm (Item 52.)
Report of the Chief Executive
This report provides Members with an overview of the Council’s funding, key activities and performance to illustrate what the Council has achieved and how this has been achieved as we work together towards our goal of happier, healthier and wealthier lives for Manchester residents.
The Committee considered a report of the Chief Executive, detailing the Council’sIntegrated Annual Report 2017/18, which contained funding, key activities and performance during 2017/18 data, to illustrate what the Council had achieved and how it had been achieved as worked towards its goal of happier, healthier and wealthier lives for Manchester residents.
The Directorate Performance, Research and Intelligence Officer referred to the main points and themes within the report which included:-
· The progress made throughout the year in addressing key governance
· Where the Council’s funding had come from and how this funding had been spent;
· Details on various operational models which transformed inputs through business activities, into outputs and outcomes;
· Key performance indicatorsthat were being used to monitor the delivery of strategic objectives; and
· A high level analysis of our financial performance within 2017/18;
· The approach to risk management to ensure that the Council had robust processes in place to support the delivery of its strategic goals, including those contained within the Our Manchester Strategy.
Some of the key points that arose from the Committees discussions were:-
· Why was there no reference within the report to Manchester’s Age Friendly Strategy;
· It was commented that it would have been preferable for Scrutiny to have had sight of the report prior to its final form in order to have some influence over the content;
· How did the report link into the State of the City report; and
· It was queried as to the purpose, necessity and cost of producing this report if similar information was contained within the State of the City report.
The Directorate Performance, Research and Intelligence Officer acknowledged the omission of Manchester’s Age Friendly Strategy from the report and advised that as the report had not yet been published on the Council’s website, it could be amended to incorporate reference to the Strategy. It was also commented that in future years, the Committee would be sighted of the production timetable and Officers will look to incorporate Scrutiny’s views before it was finalised.
The Leader advised that the State of the City Report was the Council’s key annual report which monitoredthe delivery of the Our Manchester strategy and contained the most up to date statistics for each financialyear. It was a more detailed and thorough analysis and included relevant comparator data in comparison to the report before Committee. It was also reported that the State of the City report would be submitted to Scrutiny for comment before it was published.
The Executive Member for Finance and Human Resources advised that he would ask Officers to cross reference the content of the Integrated Annual report with that of the State of the City report to identify if there was duplication of information. The City Treasurer added that the Council was required to produce a document that set out the Council’s Annual Accounts in a format that was simple to understand and the Integrated Annual Report fulfilled this requirement.
(1) Notes the report;
(2) Welcomes the offer from the Executive Member for Finance and Human Resources to request Officers to cross reference the content of the Integrated Annual Report with that of the State of the City report to identify if there was duplication of information; and
(3) Requests that if duplication of information does exist, Officers investigate if there is a future requirement to continue producing the Integrated Annual Report.