Proposed Public Spaces Protection Order Wynnstay Grove
- Meeting of Communities and Equalities Scrutiny Committee, Thursday, 3rd September, 2020 2.00 pm (Item 33.)
Report of the Head of Compliance, Enforcement and Community Safety
This report provides an update on the outcome of the consultation for the proposed Public Spaces Protection Order for Wynnstay Grove.
The Committee received a report of the Head of Compliance, Enforcement and Community Safety which provided an update on the outcome of the consultation for the proposed Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) for Wynnstay Grove.
The Deputy Leader and officers referred to the main points and themes within the report, which included:
- Evidence of issues of concern;
- Impact of the behaviour;
- Action taken to address the issues reported;
- The consultation and the responses;
- Consideration of the articles for a PSPO;
- Human rights and equality considerations;
- The proposed PSPO;
- Enforcement; and
- Next steps.
In response to a Member’s question on timescales, the Deputy Leader stated that he would want the PSPO to be implemented as soon as possible. He highlighted that action was already being taken by Council officers and Greater Manchester Police (GMP) to address anti-social behaviour around the clinic but that the PSPO would be an additional piece of legislation which would assist with this. The Community Safety Lead advised that, following the six-week period in which an appeal could be made, there would be a period of educating those affected by the PSPO on the prohibitions, requirements and consequences of a breach before it was enforced. The Deputy Leader informed the Committee that officers would still be working to address the prohibited activities during this period and move people on but that the penalties laid out in the PSPO would not be used during this education period.
Members commented that it appeared that a robust process had taken place. The Chair welcomed that an Equalities Impact Assessment (EIA) had been carried out. Another Member welcomed the proposed PSPO, advising that a similar PSPO in Ealing, London had been successful in addressing the issues there.
In response to a Member’s question, the Community Safety Lead confirmed that the area covered by the proposed PSPO included the bus stops on Wilmslow Road which some of the people attending the clinic would be using.
To note the report.
- PSPO Wynnstay Grove, item 33. PDF 433 KB
- Appendix 1 Map and Photographs, item 33. PDF 1 MB
- Appendix 2 Original proposed PSPO Area, item 33. PDF 335 KB
- Appendix 3 Proposed PSPO in for Consultation, item 33. PDF 104 KB
- Appendix 4 Consultation responses, item 33. PDF 887 KB
- Appendix 5 Analysis of Consultation Responses, item 33. PDF 784 KB
- Appendix 6 Email responses postcode locations, item 33. PDF 265 KB
- Appendix 7 Revised Restricted Area, item 33. PDF 841 KB
- Appendix 8 Stage 2 EIA PSPO Wynnstay Grove, item 33. PDF 482 KB