Agenda and minutes
Personnel Committee - Thursday, 5th December, 2019 1.00 pm
Venue: Council Chamber, Level 2, Town Hall Extension. View directions
Contact: Donna Barnes
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting on 16 October 2019, copy enclosed.
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2019 as a correct record.
The report of the Chief Executive is enclosed.
The Committee considered a report of the Chief Executive regarding the intended retirement of the Strategic Director of Growth and Development from April 2020.
The Interim Director Human Resources introduced the report and informed the Personnel Committee of the Chief Executive’s decision to exercise her delegated authority to commence appointment to the post.
No Trade Union comments had been submitted for the item. The Committee thanked Eddie Smith for his outstanding service to the City of Manchester and in particular, for the huge impact his work had made on the regeneration of East Manchester. The Committee fully supported the proposal that the Chief Executive exercises delegated authority for the appointment to the post and agreed that the relevant Executive portfolio Members be consulted as part of those arrangements:
1. To note that the Strategic Director of Growth and Development has indicated he will be retiring from April 2020 and to thank Eddie Smith for his work for the Council over many years.
2. To note that the Chief Executive proposes to commence recruitment to the post immediately and has decided to exercise her delegated authority to commence appointment to the post in consultation with the Leader of the Council, Councillor Carl Ollerhead, Councillor Suzanne Richards, Councillor Angeliki Stogia, and Councillor Luthfur Rahman and Councillor Nigel Murphy.
3. To note the proposal to recruit to this Non-Statutory Chief Officer role on a like for like basis; title, role and grade remaining unchanged.
4. To note that a further report will be submitted to the Personnel Committee early in 2020 following a review of the wider directorate management team capacity.
A revised report of the Chief Executive is enclosed.
The Committee considered a report of the Chief Executive which put forward a proposal to realign senior leadership capacity with the City Solicitor’s portfolio in the context of the departure of the Director of Strategic Communications and the need to realign and develop wider leadership and management capacity.
The proposed changes will lead to a budget saving of £18k and are designed to invest in delivery capacity in support of the Council’s strategic objectives.
No Trade Union comments were submitted for consideration of the item.
The Committee thanked Jennifer Green for her contribution to the City of Manchester and agreed the proposals.
1. To note the resignation of the Director of Strategic Communications with effect
from 3 January 2020 and to thank Jen Green for her commitment and
dedication to organisation for the past 20 years.
2. To agree the disestablishment of the Director of Strategic Communications
SS3 (£78,715 - £87,217) and the re-establishment of a Head of Strategic
Communications role SS2 (£68,526 - £74,175).
3. To note the retirement of the Head of the Executive Office with effect from 31
January 2020 and to thank Helen France