Agenda and minutes
Constitutional and Nomination Committee - Wednesday, 2nd October, 2019 9.30 am
Venue: Council Antechamber, Level 2, Town Hall Extension
Contact: Beth Morgan
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 10 July 2019.
To approve as a correct record, the minutes of the meeting held on 10 July 2019.
The report of the City Solicitor is enclosed. The sections of the Constitution where revisions are being proposed are published as a supplementary set of papers for this meeting, as it is a substantial document in its own right.
The City Solicitor was required to monitor and review the operation of the Constitution on an on-going basis and, where necessary, propose amendments for the Council to consider. The committee considered a report that detailed certain matters that had arisen since the Council considered the full review of the Constitution on 3 October 2018 (Minute CC/18/79) and the interim review in May 2019 (Minute CC/19/48). A copy of the all the revised sections was attached to the report, and the changes were summarised. The Committee supported the proposed changes.
To note the report and recommend that the Council:
1. agree to suspend Procedural Rule 25.1 that relates to decisions made within the last six months
2. adopt, subject to 3 below, the revised Sections of the Constitution of the Council, namely:
a) Part 2
b) Part 3: Sections A, B, C and F
c) Part 4: Sections A, B, D and E
d) Part 5
e) Part 6: Sections B, C, E, F and G
f) Part 8
3. readopt the remainder of the Constitution.
Membership of Council Committees and representation on other authorities, joint boards and joint committees
To consider proposed changes to the membership of committees, other authorities, joint boards and joint committees.
(Note if the changes proposed involve re-consideration of a decision taken by the Council with the previous 6 months the Committee will need to request the Council to suspend Procedural Rule 25.1).
1. To recommend that the Council suspend Procedural Rule 25.1 to allow the following decisions which involve reconsideration of a decision taken by the Council within the previous six months.
2. To recommend the Council to make the following changes in appointments to Committees and Joint Committees of the Council, and to the membership of GM bodies and committees.
Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places - request for an additional meeting of the Committee
The request the Committee to agree to hold an additional meeting Wednesday 23 October 2019 as part of the timetable for completion of the formal Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places.
To hold an additional meeting of the Committee, week commencing 4 November 2019 (date to be agreed).