Delegation of Executive Functions to the Executive and Council Officers
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
A report was submitted seeking approval for the delegation of various executive functions to officers of the Council; those functions being recorded at Part 3, Section A of the Council’s 2019 Constitution. The report also sought approval for the delegation to officers of the Council’s various executive functions set out in Part 3, Section F of the Council’s 2019 Constitution.
The report explained the legal powers available to the Leader and to the Executive to arrange for the exercise of and delegation of executive functions within the Council. We supported the proposed delegations.
1. To note the decision of the Leader of the Council to exercise his power under Section 9(E)(2) of the Local Government Act 2000 (as amended) to delegate the discharge of all of the Council’s executive functions to the Executive.
2. Subject to 3 below, to note and endorses the arrangements agreed by the Leader to delegate to officers the discharge of all of the Council’s executive functions recorded at Part 3, Section F of the Council’s Constitution as set out in the version of that section presented to Council at its Annual Meeting on 15 May 2019.
3. To note and endorses subsequent minor amendments made to Part 3, Section F of the Council’s Constitution by the City Solicitor under Article 15.2(a) of the Constitution.
4. To note and endorses the consequential amendments to the delegations of executive of functions to officers recorded at Part 3, Section A of the Council’s Constitution, made by City Solicitor under delegated authority granted by the Leader.
5. In relation to the Scheme of Delegation to Officers set out in Part 3, Section F of the Council’s Constitution, to note that delegations of executive functions include those functions that are designated as “Executive Functions” and those functions that are designated as “General Functions” insofar as these are executive functions.
Publication date: 04/07/2019
Date of decision: 26/06/2019
Decided at meeting: 26/06/2019 - Executive